This 2-week itinerary starts in Tokyo then covers the three main tourist cities of Kansai (Kyoto, Nara and Osaka), before heading west to Hiroshima/Miyajima. It’s an efficient way to see many of Japan’s real highlights.
- Duration: Around 2 weeks.
- Perfect for: First time visitors to Japan who want to see a lot of Japan’s highlights.
- Places visited: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima and Miyajima.
- Arrival City/Airport: Most people fly into Tokyo’s Narita or Haneda airports to do this itinerary.
- Best Season: Any time of year.
- Japan Rail Pass: A two-week Japan Rail Pass will save you a bit of money. For more details, see our Japan Rail Pass: Is It Worth It? page.