This itinerary focuses on the main tourist cities of Kansai: Kyoto, Nara and Osaka and can be extended to Hiroshima and Miyajima for those with extra time. It’s great for those who have already been to Japan and visited Tokyo.
- Duration: Around 7 to 10 days.
- Perfect for: Repeat visitors to Japan or anyone who wants to focus on Kansai and western Japan.
- Places visited: Kyoto, Nara and Osaka, and an optional extension to Hiroshima/Miyama.
- Arrival City/Airport: Osaka’s Kansai International Airport (KIX).
- Best Season: Any time of year.
- Japan Rail Pass: A JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass will save you money if you’re heading out to Hiroshima/Miyajima. If you’re not going to Hiroshima/Miyajima, a Kansai Thru Pass just might save you some money, but you’d have to use it cleverly.